Unfinished hardwood flooring ships from the factory in its natural state. Sanding, staining, and finishing are all done on site after the boards are installed. End and edge treatments are typically limited to "square".
Advantages of Unfinished Floors:
- Easier to match existing hardwood flooring or other interior decors
- Custom color staining
- Easier for installer to do customized elements, like inlays
- Some plank widths and exotic wood species are available only as unfinished hardwood flooring
- Can be sanded and refinished multiple times
- Less expensive than prefinished boards, but there are additional expenses associated with finishing on site